“…The real damage is done by those millions who want to ‘survive.’ The honest men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their little lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of […]
Just busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest!
Going fishing for the holiday weekend, but when I return I’ll be posting more often. Things to consider while celebrating our Independence Day in the meantime:
- Your ability to still purchase firearms, ammunition and other preps.
- Family and friends you know have your back.
- The only thing stopping you from getting into better shape is the man/woman you see in the mirror.
- There are people in our State and country right now who are planning to kill you and yours.
- All the skills in the world won’t help you if you don’t have Hope, Faith, and Love. Make peace with God if you haven’t. Having Faith in God and a Hope for the future based on that Faith will get you through some really difficult times.
See you after the fishing trip.
Source: Agumentum ad Hominem a Fortiori
Read and heed!
And it’s not only the establishment…. the cultural Marxists and outright Communists are emboldened.
While on the walk about, I did a quick comparison for popular camouflage effectiveness in a wooded setting where no leaves other than coniferous trees were green. It was basically a ‘late Fall,’ Winter, and ‘early Spring’ 3 season scenario. The results were surprising. The three patterns compared were: Multicam, US Woodland, and 80’s vintage Flecktarn.
The results were surprising, to say the least. All pictures were taken from the same spot about 20 meters distant, and all tested camouflage was in the same spot, give or take a few inches. Pictures were taken in the late afternoon within a 10 minute span. Not scientific by any means, but you are seeing what we saw.
Next time, we’ll do it with vegetation, as the season gets warmer, because I’m fairly certain all of the patterns will have a much increased level of effectiveness. YMMV.
Test 1: Multicam – Ever popular as the the recent, ‘latest and greatest.’
- Coniferous Screen: Not too awfully bad. Without movement to give him away, the model would not likely be noticed in time to save the observer from whatever the camouflaged person had in mind.
- Sapling Screen: Might as well be standing in the open. From a further distance, say maybe 75 to 100 meters, it might work for a minute or two, but generally speaking, not good.
Test 2: US Woodland, Circa 1980’s-90’s. Still in use by many survivalists (this one included) and NPT groups. Prolific, and very inexpensive from various sources, comparatively speaking.
- Coniferous Screen: Very apparent human form, especially the boonie hat and legs. During a ‘stand to’ (Dawn & Dusk) would be a lot more effective, but here, not so much.
- Sapling Screen: Model had stepped back less than a pace into the saplings, as we believed the Woodland was going to stick out like a sore thumb and wanted to see what about a dozen saplings would do….as you can see, it was surprisingly effective in the saplings themselves.
Test 3: Flecktarn – Circa 80’s/90’s. Very popular among survivalists and NPT groups, much like US Woodland. We didn’t have a uniform, but we did have a poncho, so we held it up as a screen. No human form could be seen, but the outline was stark as you will see.
- Coniferous Screen: The shape of the poncho worked against it as only straight lines, as opposed to the curves on a human form, were visible, but the worst thing was (and I like Flecktarn as a pattern) is that it turned into a black blob. No mistaking the fact that something was next to that tree.
- Sapling Screen: Surprisingly, not quite as obvious as the shot above. Still very ‘blob’ like, but more difficult to notice. This might be a great pattern for hours of reduced visibility.
Shamelessly taken from Wirecutter’s site, here. He got it, apparently, from Wisco Dave. Great information for a Wednesday! Please, do read the entire article.
“With the help of MSNBC, simultaneous to her admission of first-hand specific knowledge of the administration spying on Mr. Trump, Ms. Evelyn Farkas outs herself as the key source for a New York Times report which discussed President Obama officials leaking classified information to media.
Considerable irony jumps to the forefront when you recognize, the New York Times tried to protect Evelyn Farkas as the source of their reporting by stating:
“More than a half-dozen current and former officials described various aspects of the effort to preserve and distribute the intelligence, and some said they were speaking to draw attention to the material and ensure proper investigation by Congress. All spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were discussing classified information, nearly all of which remains secret.” (link)
Looks like Devin Nunes and the House Intelligence Committee has a new person to bring in for testimony. A positive development because at this rate the media leakers will out themselves without much need for investigation.”
Knowingly divulging classified information to unauthorized recipients is a sure way to the “Leavenworth Hilton,” where guests get a lot of fitness time making small rocks from large ones….one can only hope the government steps up and fries this clear enemy of the Constitution.
Excellent video! The past was, indeed, prologue.
Now back in 1927 an American socialist, Norman Thomas, six times candidate for president on the Socialist Party ticket, said the American people would never vote for socialism. But he said under the name of liberalism the American people would adopt every fragment of the socialist program. There are many ways in which our government has invaded the free precincts of private citizens, method of earning a living; our government is in business to the extent of owning more than 19,000 businesses covering 47 different lines of activity. This amounts to 1/5th of the total industrial capacity of the United States.
Full disclosure: The motivation for this post was brought about by Jesse James’ post on, “The Coming Retribution,” here.
As we all know, liberty minded folk as well as those who are still gnashing their teeth and doing everything they can to sabotage the new administration, Donald Trump was elected last November 8th to the presidency and inaugurated without incident on January 21st, 2017. As it stands, we’re about two months into his administration, and the noise from the left hasn’t lessened much, and there’s been quite the litany of speech, videos (music and otherwise) and writings fomenting violence not only against elected officials, but against those who voted and supported President Trump.
(News flash for the Social Justice Warriors, Progressives, ‘Woke’, and flat out communists out there: Threatening the President, whether in jest or not, is a felony, and will most likely earn you a visit from the Secret Service, FBI, local sheriff and/or police; especially those of you out there who’ve been calling for the assassination of various officials. Enjoy yourself…it oughta be fun. Let us all know how those childish tantrums and threats worked out for you during your visit with the aforementioned organizations.)
Ok…on to the meat.
As we said post-election, here: “It’s NOT the time to go to sleep!” All we have is a reprieve. At best, we’ve got until the next general election. Realistically, based on what’s going on in the country/world as reported in the news, we’ve got until November, 2018. About 20 months.
Not a very long time when one might have been thinking, ‘Hell, I’ve got 4 years…’, but a hell of a lot better than a 10 week panic driven readiness drive.
With the dump of ‘Vault 7’ you should have no illusion that you’re now, or can be, a ‘gray man’ if you’ve ever read anything here or at any other patriotic, preparedness, or survivalist web site. You. Are. Known. Once you accept that, you can get on about the business of getting prepped for the eventuality that the communists may indeed take back the House and Senate in numbers that will neutralize the Trump administration, possibly in numbers that will allow a democratic veto override.
So, here we go. The following outline is In no particular order and is nothing more than a guide. You should adapt it to your personal situation and area of operations:
- Buy, beg or borrow a copy of ‘A Failure of Civility, by Mike Garand and Jack Lawson’ , or ‘AFOC’ for short. Very hard to find right now as it’s out of print, and existing copies are going to cost you, but even so, it’s worth it. As of 14 Mar 2017, 0930 EDT, 10 copies are available on ebay for $55 BIN (Buy It Now).
- Network; find like-minded people. Be kind, courteous, and gently probe to see if they would be interested in forming a NPT (Neighborhood Protection Team). Develop friendly relationships; get to know your neighbors, help the elderly with a small chore here and there. You’ll be surprised how quickly your reputation grows as ‘the nice guy.’ This will translate into people listening to what you have to say later.
- Start your physical fitness program. Not gangbusters; build it gradually so you don’t get burned out.
- Get some good information while you’re looking around at various training classes in weapons and skills. Here’s a good place to start: Ivar Bergmann’s YouTube channel. He’s in Alaska, so you’ll see a lot of rugged wilderness, however, the man has a talent for gear selection, improvisation on equipment modifications, and has a series of 45 videos of 5 to 10 minutes or so in length that are very informative as well as entertaining. Northern Tier folks can use what he has for the most part, and Southern Tier folks can modify to meet their needs. All around good information.
- Start to budget for more ammunition, prep items, field gear, etc. Take a hard look at what could be classified as ‘frivolous’ spending and what you need to get. Right now, you can get a base line AR for about $400. Sure, it’s bottom rung, but it’s an AR. You can get a 1200 round case of IMI 62 grain shipped for under $425. A thousand round case of FMJ 9mm ball for less than $200, shipped. The closer we get to the next election, we predict you’re going to see prices start to climb higher to panic level pricing, especially if the vaunted GOP fails to deliver on various campaign promises. So, get ahead of the learning curve; get it budgeted now. So you don’t go to a few professional sports events this summer, or eat out as often, or cut your family vacation to a week instead of two. The return on investment will be well-worth it if things, as they have a habit of doing, start to deteriorate worse than they are. A good place to find ammo is here.
- If you don’t have one, get a concealed pistol license. Join CCW Safe. It’s great legal protection should you be involved in any gun incident while a member. Very inexpensive for the return on your membership fee.
- Start a garden with Heirloom seeds. These seeds will produce a crop that the seeds can be saved from and used in subsequent seasons. Grow as much as you can, and either can or dehydrate (or both) for future use. This is a great site for seeds: $95 for 92,000 Heirloom seeds! Can’t beat that with a stick!
- Learn to can. Learn to dehydrate. Shop flea markets and garage sales for your supplies. You’ll spend only pennies on the dollar if you are discerning.
- Continue on with your personal PT program. If you’ve got a family, get them involved as well. Long walks. Longer walks. PT doesn’t have to be drudgery. Be harder on yourself, though, and set the example. Get up earlier. Put some study time into your day.
- Make sure you are shooting regularly with both pistol and rifle. Rifle should take priority, but a switch out each time you go the range will work, too. Make sure you shoot at least 75 rounds. 25 rounds for focused practice on the basics Breath, Relax, Aim, (take up the ) Slack, Squeeze (depress the trigger), and then follow through, which means continue to aim until the weapon has cycled. Don’t get overexcited and drop the weapon down to see where you hit. Keep your sight picture until you’ve reacquired the target. Doing so will help when practicing follow up shots, or controlled pairs (mistakenly referred to as ‘double taps’).
- Shake down your survivial/SUT gear. That means take it out somewhere in the woods (simply for privacy) and wear it all day; wear it while you’re camping out over night; practice your woodcraft while you’Our friend, JC Dodge, from Mason Dixon Tactical, here, models a fully equipped set of LBE for SHTF situations
- If you haven’t already done so, start to increase your pantry supplies and ensure you have a supplemental water purification system. Here’s a demo of one that DTG uses and recommends: You can get yours here:
- Purchase and start to read, “Extreme Ownership: How US Navy SEALs Lead & Win, by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin” because this fine book will give you a crash course in effective leadership principles and techniques that work and are battle proven. It recently went up in price from $16.99 to $20.43 on Amazon, but like AFOC, it’s money well-spent and will provide unbelievable return on investment as you begin to implement the principles contained within it. There’s a side benefit that you can employ the same techniques they describe in your daily employment, whether you lead people or not.
- Enroll in an ‘off grid medicine/first aid’ course. Build a good medical kit. Practice the skills you’ve picked up. After the off grid course, find and take a ‘TC3’ course. It stands for ‘Tactical Combat Casualty Care,” or what to do for immediate life saving for gun shot victims. Might come in handy.
- PT, Shooting, budgeting for supplies, and study should all be a part of your routine at this point. Make sure when you go to the range, you do it in increasingly bad weather. If possible, make sure you’re shooting from the prone position on wet ground. Get used to discomfort for increasingly longer periods. Remember, your body can take a lot more than your brain can. Teach your brain that you can do whatever you need to in otherwise uncomfortable weather.
- Clean up your diet; stop eating processed food if you can. Eschew fast food. Doing so will turbo charge your PT efforts.
- Take your first Heirloom harvest and strip a couple pieces of vegetables of their seeds and dry them.
- Start thinking about winter. If you haven’t already, get some good -30 sleeping bag systems. Personally, DTG recommends Wiggy’s, http://www.wiggys.com/sleeping-bags/sleeping-bag-specials/ as his products are truly rated for comfort and not just survival, and he’s always got some sort of sale going on. Yes, they’re more expensive than your basic sporting goods store model, but you get what you pay for. Everyone will need good winter boots. Just make sure they’re waterproof, breathable, and can take the temperatures your area averages. If you’ve already don’t this, GREAT! Review and inspect what you have and see if you can make any improvements. If you’re in an area that has a lot of snow, you’ll want snow shoes, poles, and sleds to haul your ‘stuff’.
- Switch out your summer kit to your winter kit in your ruck. Winterize your rifles and pistols.
- Make sure you have enough water purification methods and water in containers to stay hydrated during the winter for a ‘bug in’ situation for your family.
- Go camping in deep cold. Of course, you SHOULD have studied and/or been trained in Cold Weather Survival first. Suggest your first foray into deep cold not be very far off the beaten path, and have your vehicle close by in case of any cold weather injury or mishap.
- Do some fast hikes on snow shoes or through shallow snow. Let your exertion teach you about layering and sweating. Again, don’t be too far from a nice, warm place in case you start to exhibit signs of hypothermia when you cool down.
- Budget in (maybe as a family give for Christmas?) a Uniden Home Patrol-2 Phase-2 Digital Scanner with Pre-Programmed Database. About $450 on Amazon. Yes, it’s spendy. More than a baseline AR, but provides loads of information during a bad situation that may get worse.
- Get a HAM radio license; Technician class at the least; General is better. Once you have that, get a couple hand held 2 meter VHF radios. There are a lot out there for not much money. Sure, they’re Chinese, but they’re there, and if you’re on a budget, well, you get the picture.
- Consolidate, pack, and inventory what you’ve got so far, in both tangible items and skills. Be coldly objective and prioritize what’s most important to get next, and then execute.
- Do some winter shooting. You’ll find out very quickly if you’ve winterized your weapons properly if you shoot on a very cold morning, and then carry it all day and try to shoot again in the late afternoon. A good lesson to learn when you’re in a safe environment.
- Take some time and do some introspection on your values and beliefs. Get right with God, however you understand Him. The coming troubles will require faith to get through, and without a very strong faith, chances are you will have no hope. People have a tendency to lay down and die without hope.
Next installment: 2018.