Updated and Posted at AP 29 March 19.
This ‘must have’ book was written in 2012, and is an analysis of the section in W. Cleon Skousen’s book, ‘The Naked Communist,’ who, in 1958, documented the top 45 goals of the communist party for the United States as of that year. You can get it on Amazon for less than $3, if you don’t mind used, and about $13 new. I would suggest, though, getting the original, “The Naked Communist,” by W. Cleon Skousen and read it first, if you really want to see the whole picture. You can get it for under $15, new. So, all told, less than $30 invested. Worth. Every. Penny.
The two works explain exactly why our country is in the state it’s in today, and that it’s no accident. It has been by design. It should also prove to the doubter that Joe McCarthy was right. There were communists in the government; some up to some very, very high levels.
As background, Skousen had a long stint of service in the FBI, and back then, post WWII, the US was very (and rightfully so) concerned with communist infiltration of the US culture and government. Some folks, unlike FDR, actually saw the danger of getting all cuddly with Stalin. He analyzed what he saw and came up with 45 goals of the communists when it came to the US before it could become a communist state. Unlike others, though, he didn’t see a Marxist invasion or outright take over; he saw our federal republic and our enshrined freedoms from government infringement as listed in our Bill of Rights being slowly chipped away by radicals (aka communist sympathizers, agents, or useful idiots) employing Antonio Gramsci’s theory of, “cultural hegemony” that has been very, very effective. Basically, Gramsci’s theory said that communism could not win against a religious-based (read Christian), Western style country unless that country first had its culture and behavioral mores (morality) undermined and destroyed. This had to be accomplished by intellectuals and elites working from inside the country’s institutions and culture to change the way people thought about culture and morals to more easily erode those same foundations of society.
The original goals were written in 1958, and looking back, as Bowers does in his analysis of what has happened since, it’s easy to see that Skousen knew exactly what he was about and provided a clear clarion call for the real, ‘cold war,’ which was waged on campuses, in churches both Protestant and Catholic, work places, and especially the home, with the, ‘new permissiveness’ of the 60’s (which was nothing compared to today!).
When reading Skousen and Bowers, you may find yourself thinking (correctly so, in my opinion) that we are witnessing the pre-victory mop up operation fueled and assisted by ‘big tech,’ the conquered democratic party (that happened in Chicago in 1968, in this writer’s opinion), the societal acceptance of Bill Ayers, Bernadette Dorn, and the election of an unvetted candidate for president in 2008, and the license perceived in 1973 to murder a child in utero that’s only crime was the parent(s) didn’t want the child. 46 years later, children can now be born and left to die on a table. We are also witnessing the congressional acceptance of known communists as representatives of various districts as well as initiatives to destroy our national boundaries, dismantle the electoral college, and reduce the voting age so minor children of 16 years may vote in elections. This ‘mop up’ is also why we see the meltdowns of ‘the Left’ when anything, and I mean, anything, is put forward to reverse the process and restore American culture, morals, and constitutional governance.
Here are the 45 goals that were written in 1958:
- U.S. acceptance of co-existence as the only alternative to atomic war.
- U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic war.
- Develop the illusion that total disarmament by the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
- Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
- Extension of long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites.
- Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination.
- Grant recognition of Red China. Admission of Red China to the UN.
- Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev’s promise in 1955 to settle the Germany question by free elections under supervision of the UN.
- Prolong the Conferences to ban atomic tests, because the U.S. has agreed to suspend tests as long as negotiations are in progress.
- Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the UN.
- Promote the UN as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as one-world government with its own independent armed forces. (Some Communist leaders believe the world can be taken over as easily by the UN as by Moscow. Sometimes these two centers compete with each other.)
- Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
- Do away with all loyalty oaths.
- Continue giving Russia access to the U.S. Patent Office.
- Capture one or both of the political parties in the U.S.
- Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
- Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in text-books.
- Gain control of all student newspapers.
- Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
- Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policy-making positions.
- Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
- Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings; substitute shapeless, awkward, and meaningless forms.”
- Control art critics and directors of art museums. “Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaning-less art.”
- Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.
- Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
- Present homo-sexuality, degeneracy, and promiscuity as “normal, natural, healthy.”
- Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social religion.” Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a “religious crutch.”
- Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of “separation of church and state.”
- Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to co-operation between nations on a worldwide basis.
- Discredit the American founding fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the”common man.”
- Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of “the big picture.” Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
- Support any Socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture — education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
- Eliminate all laws or procedures which interfere with the operation of the Communist apparatus.
- Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
- Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI.
- Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
- Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
- Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand or treat.
- Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
- Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce.
- Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks, and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
- Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use “united force” to solve economic, political or social problems.
- Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are ready for self-government.
- Internationalize the Panama Canal.
- Repeal the Connally Reservation so the United States cannot prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction over nations and individuals alike.
Bowers describes each goal’s progress; some grouped, some singly, throughout the 27 chapters in his book. Most interesting is his ‘Conclusions’ chapter where he singles out Barack Obama as someone who should be known by the company he kept and still keeps: Hard leftists. He also identifies that most Americans cannot fathom that an actual Marxist was in the White House for (4 years, then; all told 8) and, who also was extremely sympathetic to Muslim extremism (“I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.” The quote comes from page 261 of the paperback edition of “The Audacity of Hope) over American constitutional or cultural issues.
He finishes up nicely by identifying why American society has allowed, albeit unknowingly, itself to go along with these communist initiatives. The sad fact is that the communists are united by the common goal of destroying the American Constitution and liberty that comes with living in a free country. Interestingly enough, he also discusses Obama’s campaign pledge to, “…fundamentally change America,” which, when I personally saw the applause, I was in disbelief, simply because it seemed nobody listening understood the context of the word, ‘fundamentally.’
Bowers is also very transparent in his own background, a Goldwater supporter and conservative, he discloses that his parents were card carrying communists that referred to themselves as ‘progressives,’ which also fits: Liberals = Progressives = Socialists = Communists. It just works that way.
I’ll conclude by quoting Bowers as to why these books are important, and why I did this review: “…an informed people are the only danger to their long term Socialist dreams.” Can we pull out? Only God in Heaven knows; will we try? That’s up to each of us.
Reading this book, and Skousen’s, is a major step to accepting how far this war against the US has gone, and how little time we really have left to stem the tide.