Gone navigating; back next week!!
REGISTRATION IS CLOSED!
Now that crunch time is here, if you want to attend, first, send your payment via PayPal to ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’. We’ll see it, and expect a follow up email from you to the same email address. Soon as we get that, we’ll send you out the links you need to get everything ready.
LODGING: For those coming in from out of state, here are a few local motels you may wish to try. Our staff has not stayed at these establishments so we have no personal rating for them. This information provided for attendee convenience.
Closest to the area we’re doing the field work:
2755 S Lapeer Rd
Lake Orion, MI 48360
Not Much Time Left to Register, folks! Slots are filling FAST!! This is looking to be a great class with quite a few attendees! So, if you’re thinking about, STOP, and get an email to us ASAP to get your slot confirmed!! We’ll help expedite your map/protractor/compass order to the companies we trust, so you can get what you need on time!
DTG will conduct a full length Land Navigation course with the classroom portion taught on Saturday, April 25 with the field work done on Sunday, April 26, 2015, at the Bald Mountain State Park recreation area in Southeast Michigan. Classroom work will be done at a local venue, most likely a restaurant (for convenient food, beverages, and facilities). No ‘At the Door’ admittance; pre-registrations only. Field work will be done rain or shine. All participants should dress for the weather and have their own food/drink for the field work.
At the completion of this course, the novice will be able to competently plot and navigate a basic route employing dead reckoning and terrain association. Experienced navigators will find this course to be a great refresher and excellent practice!
If you can’t navigate, you can’t conduct a security patrol around your NPA. The ability to navigate effectively is a cornerstone of patrolling.
Cost: $100 per registrant; groups of 4 who register together as a team and IIIPSFA members (with card) receive a 15% discount.
- Navigation tools nomenclature and correct use (USGI Lensatic & Suunto MC2 type compass, protractor, UTM scale, and map).
- Azimuth and back azimuth determination.
- USGI Lensatic Compass Bezel Ring use.
- Natural or manmade occurrences that degrade compass accuracy.
- Topographical map marginal information identification and use.
- Correct identification of grid squares by four digit coordinates.
- Grid Plotting: Four, six, and eight digit grids.
- Grid and Magnetic Azimuths.
- Declination impact on grid azimuths; conversion of grid and magnetic azimuths using provided map declination.
- Modified Resection
- Plot and execute a predetermined route finding each point provided within the given time limit without becoming lost.
Confirmed registrants will be provided a link to purchase their training maps ($9.,95 plus shipping) in 1:10,000 and protractor/UTM scale ($8 each plus shipping). Release date for information is end of March.